Wednesday 23 October 2013

About Today: Wide World of Sports Quotes

If you can't see this email, click here

About


"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did," baseball legend and Hall of Fame catcher Yogi Berra is said to have said. Berra is one of the most oft-quoted characters not only in baseball history, but in all of sports. Then again, he also claimed, "I never said most of the things I said." Other sports figures have been a little more inspirational.

If at First You Don't Succeed
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan.
Search Related Topics:  michael jordan  nba owners  nba players

Breaking the Four-Minute Mile
"Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead." -Roger Bannister.
Search Related Topics:  running quotes  running motivation  famous runners

You Can't Win Them All
"It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner." -Vince Lombardi.
Search Related Topics:  vince lombardi  nfl legends  nfl coaches

A Miracle on Ice
"Eleven seconds, you've got 10 seconds, the countdown going on right now! Morrow up to Silk. Five seconds left in the game. Do you believe in miracles? ... Yes!" -broadcaster Al Michaels on Feb. 22, 1980, calling the final moments of the U.S. Olympic hockey team's theretofore unthinkable win over the USSR.
Search Related Topics:  miracle on ice  miracle:the movie  olympic hockey


Related Searches
Featured Articles
Latvia's Top Destinations
Removing Copper Pipes Stains
Bilbao to San Sebastian
What's an Oil Spill in Bowling?
Novena for the Holy Souls in Purgatory
Top Men's Giant Slalom Skiers

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2013 About.com
 
 
Follow us on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment